2021 Alamo Classic COVID-19 Protocols
COMPETITION CANCELED PER SAN ANTONIO CITY ORDERS
SYMPTOM SCREENING BEFORE ATTENDING THE COMPETITION
Prior to attending the Alamo Classic, we ask that athletes, coaches, and spectators perform a self-assessment based on CDC best practices and recommendations and stay home if sick. People who are at higher risk for complications from COVID-19 are strongly encouraged to not attend live events.
Symptoms to watch for include:
- Fever (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit [38 degrees Celsius] or higher
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
MANDATORY ON-SITE SCREENING
All visitors who want to enter the Convention Center will be subject to screening at designated entrances for COVID-19 symptoms before entry. The following question will be asked regarding COVID-19 symptoms :
- Are you experiencing any COVID symptoms? (Please see the symptom list above) Simultaneously, the guest will be shown the written symptoms.
- Temperatures will be checked using thermal imaging cameras
- A label indicating an approved temperature reading will be dispensed and worn by the guest to confirm screening was completed.
- Any visitor who is not successfully screened or is experiencing COVID symptoms will not be permitted entry into the facility.
- Secondary screenings will be provided in a separate area from the entrance if the initial temperature is greater than or equal to 99.7 F.
- If a second reading is greater than or equal to 99.7 F, their entry will not be permitted.
- The visitor should wait 3 days and have no temperature and no COVID symptoms before returning to the facility.
Spectators, coaches, and judges will be required to wear face coverings at all times while inside the gymnasium with the exception of when eating or drinking. All Alamo Classic workers, vendors, and staff will wear face coverings at all times and will be checked and screened prior to the entrance into the building.
Athletes over the age of 10 will be required to wear a face covering unless performing or warming up on competition equipment.
Per CDC guidelines, face coverings should not be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove face coverings without assistance or medical waiver.
To ensure social distancing, seats will be marked off to distinguish between those available and unavailable. All seats must remain 6 feet apart. Clustering in unassigned seating areas will be prohibited.
Doors will open15 minutes prior to March-in for Spectators. Competition sessions will be scheduled to allow for the extra time needed to empty the competition area and spectator areas between sessions for sanitizing and cleaning. Separate entrances and exits will be mandatory for all attendees.
Separate entrances and exits will be mandatory for all attendees.
HAND SANITIZING STATIONS
Hand sanitizing and wipe stations are available at the convention center and competition venue.
GENERAL ADMISSIONS AND OCCUPANCY RESTRICTIONS FOR SPECTATORS
Due to the convention center and state occupancy restrictions, each competition session will have a spectator limit. With this in mind, we will only be offering online pre-purchase admissions. We want athletes to be supported by their loved ones and “fans” but, due to the occupancy restrictions, we are encouraging only three spectators per athlete. Online sales will open on Dec. 15th. On Jan. 10th, we will post on our website if extra seats per session are available. These extra seats will then be made available online. All online ticket sales will close on January 15th.
Concessions will offer one-sided buffets allowing wait staff to serve each guest, wait staff distributing beverages, individually wrapped cold items. Continuous disinfecting of service areas and waitstaff servicing each event with masks and gloves. Social distancing will be used at points of sale.
Water fountains will not be available. A personal bottle with water can be brought into the convention center. Also, bottled water and other beverages will be available at the Concessions.
Athletes will be required to bring and use their own chalk and chalk containers for the competition. Common-use chalk buckets will not be available or allowed in the arena. Chalk and individual containers will be for sale at the competition if athletes do not bring their own chalk and/or containers.
Spray water bottles will NOT be provided at the meet. Teams will need to bring their own spray bottles.
Judges will wear masks at all times. To allow for social distancing, judges will tabulate their own scores. Also, coaches will not approach judges for inquiries (formal inquiry forms can be completed and given to the Meet Director) and athletes will not present to judges at the beginning of the event rotation to allow for social distancing.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF INHERENT RISK
By accepting a ticket and using it for entry or resale/other, and/or attending as a registered participant, you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are or have been present and that the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center and the Alamo Classic event directors cannot ensure that its premises are risk-free. By attending the Alamo Classic, which includes but is not limited to, spectating, coaching, competing, you and any of your guests voluntarily assume the risks related to exposure to COVID-19. You and all personal representatives assign, heirs, and next of kin hereby release, waive, discharge, and shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, the State of Texas, the city of San Antonio, the Alamo Classic event and each of their respective employees, directors, officers, members, workers, volunteers, representatives, institutions, departments, and agents for any loss or damage, and any claim or demands on account of any property damage or personal injury, or your illness or death (or that of any person who may contract COVID-19, directly or indirectly, from you), whether caused by the negligence, active or passive, or otherwise, resulting from your presence in, upon, or about the Convention Center premises while attending the Alamo Classic event.
COVID- 19 Refund Policy
- If the entire competition and/or a single session is canceled by the State of Texas, Bexar County, the City of San Antonio, Henry B. Gonzalez convention center, and/ or the competition host, the following refunds will be allowed:
- Canceled before November 1, 2020: 100% athlete entry refund
- Canceled before December 1, 2020: 80% athlete entry refund
- Canceled after January 1, 2021: 70% athlete entry refund
- If an athlete arrives at the meet with COVID-19 symptoms, including fever at entry:
- No refund will be given but the scratched athlete will receive their Alamo Classic athlete gift